Sunday, June 26, 2005

I need to get out more!

As promised last weekend, I was in desperate need of a new PC. Well, one has been purchased and I have spent all of this weekend getting the new system up and running. Now, I'm relatively competent with PCs and their insides but this has had me completely stumped. My old PC has a slave hard drive where all my data was stored. The purpose of this rather than storing everything on the C: drive was with the intention of a future upgrade where I could just move the drive over to a new machine with no trouble.
Of course, this is where the trouble started. The new PC has a SATA drive whereas my old drive is an EIDE. Connecting it up was no problem whatsoever, but getting the new PC to recognise the drive was a different matter althogether. I can see it in the BIOS, I can see it in Device Manager, but whatever configuration I use it is not visible in My Computer! After many phone calls to help desks, (Compaq will not help as the old drive is not made by them, Western Digital will not help as the PC is not made by them...) I finally resorted to copying the whole lot onto a stack of DVD's and moving the data across manually. I am not happy, have hardly slept (it tooks hours!!) and now at last have a good clean and fast working system. Now all I have to do is find all those old software discs so I can run what I've been used to running. At least I can blog again.

No comments: